Grilled vegetable and tofu lasagne
Inspired by the desire to make a healthy, hearty meal, we’re excited to share a regular visitor to our dinners. The secret to this dish is that you can make a very creamy, rich, spinach filling with zero cheese. It is hard to believe how creamy and delicious this filling is with no cheese. Serve this at your next dinner party, your guests (and you) will not be able to tell the difference. In fact, as we combined the tofu, spinach, and caramelized onions, we had to do a double-take to realize that we weren’t working with ricotta — it even tastes the same! Enjoy!
Grilled vegetable and tofu lasagne Recipe
Published: January 20, 2012
- Yield: 1 9 (8 Servings)
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 0 min
Inspired by the desire to make a healthy, hearty meal, we’re excited to share a regular visitor to our dinners. The secret to …
- 16 ounces spinach we used frozen
- 2 large onions
- 4 ounces broccoli we used frozen
- 1 cup tomato sauce we used TJ tomato basil
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 large carrots
- 1 Italian Eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 box lasagne noodles we used no-boil
- 21 ounces firm tofu ~1.5 boxes
- Italian seasoning
- Smoked Mozzarella Optional for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375
- To create the bottom layer, blend the (thawed) broccoli, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of tomato sauce using the food processor. Set aside.
- Slice the onions in thin slices and saute until they just start to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the remainder of the filling, process the spinach (thawed), tofu, and half of the caramelized onions, and the remainder of the milk (~1 3/4 cups) in the food processor. Then, whisk in the egg whites. Finally, stir in the remainder of the onions. The consistency should be slightly thicker than cake batter. Set aside.
- To prepare the vegetables, there are many variations to this! We sliced all the veggies (squash, eggplant & carrots) in thin strips (about 1/8″ inches in thickness) and grill them (optional). Set aside.
- Once all the ingredients are done, you’re ready to assemble! Spray the glass 9″ x 13″ pan with light olive oil, and begin with the broccoli sauce layer created in step 2. Place 3 of the no boil lasagne sheets on top, and spread a layer of the spinach mixture created in step 3. You will use this as the base for each layer. We alternated vegetables, but you can be as creative as you want! Always remember to start each layer with the filling and then put the vegetables on top. Repeat for remaining 4 layers.
- Garnish with some smoked mozzarella (optional) and cover the dish with the foil
- Bake for about an hour. The cheese on top will be just browning and bubbling. Remove foil, let cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Optionally, serve with a dollop of tomato sauce.